Occupational Health Surveillance System
UCSC uses an on-line risk assessment and medical screening tool known as the Occupational Health Surveillance System (OHSS). This system greatly simplifies the former paper-based medical review process, eliminating the need to fax copies of forms to EH&S and the Health Center. Everyone with a CruzID and Gold password can use the OHSS system.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for assistance.
1. PI or Co-Researcher logs into OHSS and creates a Risk Assessment for the protocol (click on "create a new risk assessment").
2. Enter name of each participant (last name, first name) and click "add participant."
3. The participant reviews the Risk Assessment and accepts or rejects if changes are needed.
4. After accepting the Risk Assessment, the participant completes the confidential Health Questionnaire and submits for review by the Physician. Make sure to have your vaccination history available as vaccine dates are requested on the questionnaire.
5. The Physician reviews the participant's Risk Assessment and Health Questionnaire and sends the individual a Medical Assessment for review.
6. The participant logs into OHSS and reviews/acknowledges the Medical Assessment. If there are questions from the Physician, a response from the participant will be needed to complete the process.
Email notifications are sent from OHSS after each step. If you don't receive your email, you may need to check your junk mail/spam folder.
The Risk Assessment is completed by the PI/Co-Researcher and verified by the participant. The form contains a series of questions about the protocol and provides the Physician with information on potential risks within the work environment related to the protocol, such as:
- Animal Contact
- Biological Agents
- Chemical Agents
- Physical Agents
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- General Safety Training
The Health Questionnaire is completed by the participant and confidentially routed to a Physician. Participants should be prepared with vaccine information to streamline the process. The form provides the Physician with personal health information, including:
- General Health History
- Prescription Medications
- Health Status Changes
Your medical information is protected by law. PIs are not granted access to your Health Questionnaire or Medical Assessment.
The Medical Assessment is completed by the Physician and reviewed by the participant. The Medical Assessment provides the participant with evaluation information including:
- If cleared for work
- Needed follow up
- Additional requirements:
- Tuberculosis Screening
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Needed Immunizations or Tests
OHSS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
OHSS User Guide (PDF)
Copying Risk Assessment Guide (PDF)